Monday, January 14, 2008

First days of the new for my girls

Up well before 7 this morning. Put the coffee on the stove top, prepared a Bear's brekky. Got a girl up, while her mum frantically lurched from one side of the bathroom to the other.

Today both their lives changed. Beloved went back to work, and Bear, having been for a few short visits to get the feel of the place, spent her first full day in childcare.

I waved them off. Bear was waving and smiling from the back. It breaks your heart.

She went well, apparently, though neither sleep nor food were high on her agenda. But when Beloved picked her up she was fusty, and she took a long time to go to bed. She was a bit upset.

So I'm told anyway, I didn't get out of work until 6.30, I haven't even laid eyes on my girl since the morning.

There has to be a better way...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, there has to be a better way, I'm just not sure what it is. Good luck with it all.

Anonymous said...

But what way would be better? suppose you had a mum or other close relative who offered to babysit all day, all the time.

Bear would still need to adjust to that person!

People love to guilt parents with the "raised by strangers" tag, but FFS, we're all strangers when we first meet. Grandparents, uncles, aunts, everyone.

Since you're in Northcote, there is a high probability you've got into a good, community run cc centre. If it's Oldis ave. then give them Girlchild's regards as an old alumnus! (Mercedes, 1993)

BwcaBrownie said...

I remember distinctly, though it was 30 years ago, that her father realised he had not seen his daughter for 5 days even though they both slept in the same house.
She went to school before he woke, and she went to bed before he got home.
The 2 of them are best mates right now, and I am on the Far Outer of both of them, even though I was there for their every waking moment back in the good old days ... my point being, don't worry.